Expert Guide to Sell Jewelry & Gold at Thollot & Co.
Many of us have those signature pieces, pearl earrings and gold necklaces we love to flaunt regularly. But many of us also have jewelry tucked away that we don’t wear for one reason or another. Some retains its sentimental value as the years go on, but when there’s a bracelet or a ring that no longer brings you joy, it might be time to consider selling (or upcycling) your gold and other jewelry.
You have a few options if you are looking to get the most value for your jewelry:
- Visit a Local Jewelry Store to Sell Your Gold, Diamonds and Jewelry
- Repurpose Into a Custom Piece
- Explore Online Marketplaces and Social Media
Visit a Local Jewelry Store
If your jewelry is in poor condition or out of style, it is unlikely that you will find an online buyer. Instead, consider selling to a jeweler who has a refinery, like Thollot & Co. Refineries melt down jewelry to recover pure metals, like gold and platinum, and will offer a “scrap price” based on the total weight of precious metals and the current market value. A retail jeweler can make it easy for you: they’ll handle the process and you can walk away with cash that day.
If you decide to sell your jewelry with Thollot & Co., here’s what you can expect from your experience with us:
1) Our experts will test your jewelry and categorize by metal and fineness. For example, we would separate 10k gold, 14k gold and silver pieces.
2) We will weigh your jewelry and determine a value for each metal based on the daily market price, for an exact offer. If you choose to sell, Thollot & Co. will write you a same-day check.
3) Thollot will also include the value of any qualifying embedded diamonds in our offer, as long as they are at least ¼ ct in size. If you have certified diamonds, bring the certifications with you.
4) If you choose to sell your metal, but want to hang onto your diamonds and gems, we will gladly remove them and return them to you.
5) You can also choose to trade in and upgrade your jewelry — Thollot adds 10% of the offered price to the trade-in value.
6) We’ll never charge you for an appraisal. The experts at Thollot & Co. are happy just to provide you with everything you need to make an informed choice.
7) If you plan to sell, be prepared to show your driver’s license and provide your phone number and signature, in order to comply with federal regulations.
Repurpose Into a Custom Piece
If your jewelry is no longer your style, but remains sentimental and special, you should consider combining diamonds or gems from multiple pieces into a new, custom piece that you treasure and look forward to wearing. Thollot & Co.’s masterful designers specialize in creating custom jewelry at affordable prices.
This is what you can expect from our expert, artisan process:
1) Get inspiration from Thollot & Co.’s custom gallery. Our most popular design elements are described and featured in the gallery, along with hundreds of images to spark your imagination. You can use our website to share images with our designers and begin the process.
2) Bring your jewelry to Thollot & Co. for a complimentary consultation with one of our designers. We are passionate about what we do, and we look forward to working with you to find a design that will connect with you and truly showcase your diamonds and gems.
3) Thollot & Co. will send you a CAD design and collaborate with you until we’ve created your perfect piece. We will print a 3-D model for you to try on before you make any final decisions.
4) No payment is required until you've fallen in love with the design and are ready to move forward to production. You could walk away at any point, but our designers are so amazing that we’re certain you’ll love your unique, one-of-one piece.
5) At Thollot & Co., you can trade the precious metals from your original piece toward the price of your new design. If the value of your metals exceeds the price of your custom design, you’ll walk away with a check for the balance.
Explore Online Marketplaces and Social Media
If your piece is still in style and would look great on anyone, you might consider selling your jewelry on a website like Craigslist or eBay. If you’re looking to sell local, a website like Nextdoor might be your best option.
Here are some other tips for success from the experts at Thollot & Co.:
1) Post great pictures. Bring your jewelry to Thollot & Co. for a complimentary cleaning and bring out the most dazzling qualities of your piece. Use a white background for your images to highlight its features. Try different filters on your phone or camera to increase the exposure and capture the sparkle of your jewelry.
2) Post all corresponding documents. Make sure any potential buyers can view relevant receipts, appraisals and certifications.
3) List your jewelry at about 60% of the original price. Most people who are purchasing previously owned jewelry expect significant savings, so don’t price yourself out of the market.
4) Re-post daily.Remove and re-post your listing every day so that it stays at the top of the page. Consider reducing the price every few days until you get responses from buyers. Once you’ve determined the right price point, you can compare it to offers from retailers. (More information on that below.)
5) Meet in public. Make it clear in your post that you will only meet in public. You can use language like “Meet me at my local jeweler” to weed out scammers and stay safe. Thollot & Co. is happy to be your safe place to meet a potential buyer — just let us know your plans when you arrive. Remember, we offer a complimentary cleaning service, so arrive early and we can polish up your piece so it’s ready to impress.
With these three great options, you are sure to find the perfect way to give your unworn jewelry new life. The experts at Thollot & Co. are available for precious metal evaluations at any time. If you are interested in selling diamonds, please call 303-280-3374 or use the form below to make an appointment.